A note from the editor
Amazing that we're already at 7 reports! Time flies by when you are having fun and up till 3 am scouring LinkedIn for CS-related posts. Here are some updates for CS Insider:
👉 Follow me on LinkedIn!
- We added a lot of great events for April and May.
- CS Speed Mixers. Register here
- Breaking into CS: Starting a job at a startup vs. an established company. Register here
- Our 2021 Talent Survey is out in the wild, gathering intel on what YOU want from a job in CS. Give us your thoughts.
- Our new advice column, Dear Insider is creating some buzz. Submit your tough work question for Kristi Faltorusso to answer!
- We just released Episode 3 of our new series Tech Talk. This week I walked through Stonly, a better way to lead your customers to success. View the demo here.
Please make sure to subscribe below to get our condensed insider reports, delivered fresh from the oven at 550 degrees. Make sure to let cool for 15 minutes before opening 🔥
Table of Awesomeness
- 🤫 Leak
- 📈Trending on LinkedIn
- 🔦Community Spotlight
- ✏️ Sumi's Success Tips
- 🎉 Community Wins
⌚ Here's are my top favorites, shuffled for the week 🔀:
- The Definitive Guide to Customer Onboarding — Onboard.io
- I hacked into Onboard's system using a combination of a sector five debug router and a custom-built C3 emulator to get you early access to their official and unreleased guide to customer onboarding. Hurry and download this resource before they find out!
If I go missing, you know why.
- The Customer Success Jobs Report for April 2021 — SuccessCOACHING
- 25 Customer Service Email Templates that Generate Trust and Loyalty — Mui Yoon, Nicereply
Top Customer Success KPIs for Managing CSM Teams — CSM Practice
How to Implement Customer Success at New SaaS Startups — CSM Practice
Results from the Churnzero “Customer Success Leadership Study” — Practical CSM
- Sasi Yajamanyam's upcoming book, "Next Gen Customer Success" is available for preorder!
- Emily Garza launches ValueCSwithEmily to help you continue to deliver the value of Customer Success, both internally and externally.
- Totango Leads The Industry In Customer Success According To Trust Radius and Earns Multiple Leadership Awards from G2 — Totango
- ChurnZero Earns a 2021 Top Rated Award From TrustRadius — ChurnZero
- Isabel Ruiz launched CSM Toolbox
- Rick Adams from Practical CSM is launching a new Customer Success community and needs your help! Fill out your interest here.
- Top 10 Trends Shaping the Future of Customer Success — Vish Walia, SaaS Insider
- Q&A: Surviving Stress in Customer Success — Churn Zero & Ryan Johansen
- Outcome Selling is the Only Way Forward — Martin Dove, TSIA
- How To Be Proactive in Customer Success — Diana De Jesus, Keep the Customer
- Customer Onboarding: How to Design and Implement an Effective Onboarding Process — Lincoln Murphy, Sixteen Ventures
- Choose Your Fighter: TAM or CSM? — Amin Akbarpour, The Success League
- Customer feedback: Get it, organize it, and make it work for you — Tara Ramroop, The Library
- How Customer Success Managers Can Balance Work and Caregiving in High-Stress Times — Josh Schachter, UpdateAI
- 50 Things Every Customer Success Leader Should Know — 'nuffsaid
- 15 Customer Success Leaders Share Their Best Career Advice — 'nuffsaid
E27- Our Brains Are Piles of Mush With Electricity (With Jon Johnson, Senior Customer Success Manager at Splash) — NPS I Love You
Ep 98, Donna Weber, Onboarding Matters — Strikedeck Radio: Customer Success Live
Guest: Jack Choppin - The Power of Networking — The Jasons take on...
- Cast — Generate personalized onboarding videos, weekly updates, and business reviews for ALL your accounts in the time you would take to create one for a high-touch account.
- Cirrus Insight — Maximizing your inbox, calendar, and tasks to streamline your work from Salesforce.
- Presentations by Canva — Easily design unforgettable presentations with stunning templates, premium content, and spectacular effects your audience will love.
- Customer Experience & Success in Action — Customer Success in Action
- CSN Cafe — Customer Success Network
- Supporting Women for Board Success — Brookes Enterprise Support
- Real talk: How to Detect CS Team Stress -- And Manage It — UpdateAI
📈Trending on LinkedIn
Irit Eizips shared an article on segmenting your customer base to scale.
Kim Oslob recaps her lessons learned from a featured blog post highlighting 15 women Customer Success leaders.
Erica Newell shared an insightful post about ICP; Ideal Customer Profile.
Emily Garza launches her ValueCS with Emily site with learnings about CS.
Megan Bowen shares the 10 universal truths of the customer.
Jeff Breunsbach goes over why Brief. Conversational. Actionable. are his 3 favorite words when it comes to customers.
Bryan Plaster talks about helping his team have better conversations with customers to drive value outcomes.
Michelle Heath discusses what customers care about.
Erika Villarreal shares a post about Customer Success Facts and Myths.
Ana-Maria Mihai shares an infographic comparing customer retention and customer loyalty.
Alexandra Thebert discusses training during onboarding with new customers.
Markus Rentsch talks about churn being a company-wide problem, not just a customer success one.
Kristi Faltorusso shares a post about renewal survival strategy for CSMs and a CS renewal playbook infographic.
Queen Joseph discusses some CS hot tips about defining your processes then buying tools to support them.
Vagisha Arora shares her insights about CS is about showing empathy and sensitivity towards your customer requirements and needs.
Cormac Kelly writes about how CS ended up being his dream job.
Maranda Ann Dziekonski compares what people think we do and what we actually do in CS, and shares some tips on how to be a CS rockstar.
Aditya Maheshwari discusses how trust is an important factor in a CS role.
✏️ Sumi's Success Tips
Takeaways from Personal Relationships towards Customer Relationships
I'm sure many of you agree that maintaining personal relationships, such as those with our good friends and family members, is relatively simple and natural. How cool would it be if the relationships we uphold as Customer Success Managers become just as easy to maintain... right? This led me to think: What can we all learn from our own personal relationships to make Customer Success more seamless, and truly successful?
Let's unravel the layers —
1) Effortlessness: I'm speaking in relative terms, of course. All relationships take work, but we find natural ease in our personal relationships. Why? They make us happy, and delight both parties in the relationship.
Consider here: Think of any of your close relationships — your best friend, or a family member. What makes it easy? What gives you happiness in this relationship?
2) Delight: Sure, but how do we get to that state of two-way delight in a professional setting? We learn to build empathy similar to what we have in our personal relationships.
Consider here: If a close one needs help with something, you naturally feel motivated to help. What compels you to lend your support?
3) Empathy: As a Customer Success Manager, it's built into the role to understand our customers' needs. This leads to a high-level formation of empathy. How can we deepen this and become a true 'companion' to our customers, in a professional setting?
Takeaway: The trick is to break the ice a little more — imagine you’re making a new friend. This leads to a deeper sense of empathy which in turn more naturally inspires delight.
Cool, but how do we break the ice? It’s all about forming a connection...
4) Connection: ...Keep in mind that your customers are people, just like you! They consciously chose your company to fulfill their professional requirements, and they likely have some baseline trust in you already. Breaking the ice even with a simple “How has your day been so far?” is a great way to start a brief chat before diving into business. We all have something in common. :-)
Before you know it, you’ll find that you and your customers look forward to catching up. Ultimately, this connection helps you maintain a steady pulse on your customers, ensuring their (and your) success. Happiness all around!
And on that happy note, I'll conclude today's success tip — see you again next time!
🎉 Community Wins
🎉 Mike Lee and his team at Spreedly completed Level 1 CCSM with SuccessHACKER.
🎉 Carolyn Eames accepted a new role as Director of Customer Success at Felux.
🎉 Greg Starr accepted a new role at Siemplify as a Customer Success Manager.
🎉 Fred Locher completed Level 1 CCSM with SuccessHACKER.
🎉 Connor Green completed Level 1 CCSM with SuccessHACKER.
🎉 Rajnish Singh completed his first course "Customer Success Management Fundamentals” by PracticalCSM.
🎉 Bryan Wells accepted an offer to join the Cooleaf family.
🎉 Maria Jose Villanueva accepted a new role as a Senior Manager, Customer Success at Coveo.
🎉 Krista Roberts accepted a new role of Senior Customer Success Manager at ClientSuccess.
🎉 Nicola Noble completed Level 3 Certified Customer Success Management Professional with PracticalCSM.