March 16th, 2021
Skip to Section
A note from the editor
The fifth and possibly our most comprehensive report ever has landed on earth! This report has so much that I'm excited to share with you, and this is only possible because of our dedicated team of the CS Insider team. Thank goodness 🙏
- We started a new Tech Talk series where I interview founders and demo interesting tech. Our first demo is with Srikrishnan Ganesan, the Co-Founder of Rocklane.
- We launched our own CS Insider 👋Clubhouse group and Twitter handle.
- CS Show and Tell with John Tzagkarakis
- More content added to The CS Brain.
- We've grown to almost 20 founding team members. If you want to get in on the ground floor, join here.
- We're organizing a ton of events for March and April. Bookmark our events page to stay up-to-date.
👉 Follow me on LinkedIn!
Please make sure to subscribe below to get our condensed insider reports, delivered fresh from the oven at 550 degrees. Make sure to let cool for 15 minutes before opening 🔥
⌚ Here are our top favorites, shuffled for the week 🔀:
- The Customer Health Score Guide - Justin Rubner, UserIQ
- The Customer Success Jobs Report for March 2021 - SuccessCOACHING
- TrustRadius 2021 Women in Tech Report - TrustRadius
- CS Tech Stack survey - Insided & Planhat
- CS Insider Office Warming Party - CS Insider
- How to Do Cross Department Collaboration - CS Insider and John Tzagkarakis
- CS Executives Roundtable Session: Customer Success Strategy Optimization - CSM Practice
- PulseLocal "Bookshop" Series on The Customer Success Economy - Dana Soza
Customer Journey Mapping - How to Make It Simple and Flexible - Everything Customer Success
The Playbook to Boosting Net Retention (Quickly) with Terminus's CEO | SaaStr Software Community - SaaStr
10 Customer Success Lessons - Customer Success Box
How to Best Optimize Your Customer Success Plan? - CSM Practice
The Role of Data in Customer Success Management - Practical CSM
- ChurnZero announced they have raised $25 million in JMI equity-led Series B funding.
- The Customer Success Excellence Awards is launching in London in Q3 2021.
- Emilia D'Anzica announced her new show, Extreme CS Makeover Show which starts in April.
- Kristi Faltorusso is ready to launch her new website, CS Real Simple. Sign up for a chance to win 2 free consulting hours!
- UserTesting elevates its customer education experience with an integrated university learning environment - Express Computer
- 5 Steps to Developing a Customer Centric Account Coverage Model - DesiredPath
- 4 Vital Phases of Implementing Customer Discovery - Vivek Asrani, The CX Insights
- 4 Bs of LinkedIn: Brand Building Framework For CS Professionals - Diana De Jesus, The Customer Success Project
- Mapping Emotion in the Customer Journey - Alex Allwood, CustomerThink
- Part 3: Value Achievement—How to Target, Track, and Measure Realized Customer Value - Jeb Dasteel, CustomerThink
- Your Customer Journey Map Template: 8 Steps To Successful Client Outcomes - Totango
- Q&A: The Right Way to Handle Customer Objections & Negotiations - Emily Nesterick with ChurnZero
Episode 11: Eric Kades, Founder at TextChat by JetSense - Churn Hacking
- Outline - Put your customers at the center of everything.
- Bento - Not onboarding, everboarding.
- Viwo - Track, analyze and respond to customer comments across social media and effectively manage customer queries at scale.
- Spot - Sick of sitting on video meetings all day? Step away from the screen and try a walking meeting with Spot.
CLICK ARROW TO VIEW IMAGE
Jeff Breunsbach talks about building Communities into your Customer Success strategies.
Philipp Wolf compares Customer Success and Customer Experience.
Dana Alvarenga shares her perspective on the partnership between Customer Marketing and Customer Success and what's in it for them in regards to your customer programs.
Kristi Faltorusso Real Simple CS Series: Tips for active listening | Customer Success Leading Indicators | Leading Indicators Part 2: Metrics | Reactive to Proactive Customer Success Model
David Ellin talks about the many dimensions of the Voice of the Customer.
Brian Nicholls shares 63% of customers consider the customer's onboarding program when making a purchasing decision.
Markus Rentsch covers how to make Customer Success a company-wide effort and why CS should stop obsessing over NPS and health scores.
Adam Avramescu shares his thoughts from a recent episode of CELab on Customer Education and Customer Success: are they the same.
Ashna Patel gives her latest on the most recent #CSravingfanbookclub where they had a guest appearance from Ruben Rabago and how Customer Success and Leadership are so similar, and reminds us to keep the big picture in mind.
Warwick Brown shares his insights about his discussion on CS being human to human with Ronni Gaun.
Eugene Lee talks with Emilia D'Anzica and Sabina Ponsa on why CS will be the next big driver.
Manoranjan Ingudam covers another way to view NPS data for the CSM.
John Tzagkarakis shares his 3 Elements for Building a Customer Success Playbook in 2021.
Jared Orr asks the CS community what are some of your best practices for finishing a quarter strong?
Sana Farooq talks about grit and perseverance.
Sasi Yajamanyam submits his first draft of his manuscript to his publisher.
Maranda Ann Dziekonski shares 5 steps to ROI success, interview prep for Customer Success roles, and shares what you should measure but probably do not.
Jim Buscaglio shares his insights on Product-led growth and customer experience.
Kayla Davis-Beckstrom talks about Customer Success being proactive and Customer service being reactive.
Jessica Noble shares an example of putting yourself in your customer's shoes during a bad experience.
Ed Powers poses the question on how does neuroscience describe customer loyalty?
Monica Trivedi shares some key considerations when it comes to Change Management.
William Stevenson covers 7 ways to elevate your customer onboarding experience.
Angela Cravens talks about Customer Success's role with Advocacy.
Emilia D'Anzica, Maranda Ann Dziekonski, Kristi Faltorusso, Rebecca Kerr share real talk on Customer Success + Motherhood.
Liane Cafarate, Ali Topaz, Ashna Patel, Bhavika Kochhar, Diana Rubine, and Ronni Gaun launch CS ladies with a mission to nurture each other through direct relationships which allow us to learn, teach and share.
I sat down with Srikrishnan to walk through his new product, Rocketlane.
Rocketlane seeks to simplify, standardize, and accelerate client onboarding, collaboration, project management, and workflows.
These are three areas that in my personal experience every organization has to get right to build an effective, efficient, and productive CS organization, and I wanted to take the pulse of the CS community on it so I posted a prompt on LinkedIn.
The reaction to my LinkedIn post has been very encouraging (as of today it has about 10,000 views and 180 comments).
Following the post, I had the opportunity to share the 1-pager and discuss privately on LinkedIn with more than 140 CS Leaders and CSMs that commented on my post, and asked if they agreed with my assessment, and also what are the biggest challenges they are facing in their organizations?
It was impressive that almost all agreed with me that the #1 challenge in their organization is the cross-functional collaboration of Customer Success with other teams (especially with Sales and Product), followed by #2 challenge: CS Leaders not being able to prove the value of their CS team to the wider organization, and as a result not getting funding to invest more in CS Software/Technology, or in CS Operations or even improving their Processes.
Last but not least, retaining CSM talent was another challenge that was mentioned.
Due to the CSM job market being so hot, and COVID restrictions allowing employees to work remotely for any company, many leaders told me that this has made it easier for their direct reports to be interviewed and get hired remotely, and so they're losing their best talent.
Hello all, and welcome to the first “episode” of Sumi's Success Tips!
Today, we're going to talk about your Customer Accounts Report.
You're having a meeting with your leadership team or your manager, and you'd like to present an update on the accounts you as a Customer Success Manager handle. How do you go about this?
Simple. (Of course!)
Here's a simple template you can use for each customer in your list:
- Customer Name: Fill in the customer's name.
- One-Sentence Summary: What did you accomplish with the customer over the timeframe of the report? Keep this brief, to just one sentence.
- Mindset Gauge: How is the customer feeling (Happy? Unhappy? Pessimistic? Optimistic? Neutral?) Remember, it's a two-way street — not just about how often you checked in with the customer, but about how much value they received at the end of those check-ins.
To your template, add in another field for each customer.
- Next Steps: Based on your One-Sentence Summary and Mindset Gauge, what would be ideal next steps for you to turn things around and help either show value (if it wasn't successful this time) or ensure continuation of value (perhaps moving the customer onto the next milestone in their customer journey)?
And, that's all for today's success tip — see you next time for more!
🎉 Jessica Geutner celebrates 3 years as Vice President Strategic Customers at Salesforce.
🎉 Anurag Saxena is the new Chief Manager of Customer Success at i3systems India.
🎉 Erin Metzger Scott completed Level 3 with Practical CSM.
🎉Vanessa Randazzo completed Level 4 with Practical CSM.
🎉Hams Dabaieh completed CCSM1 SuccessHackers certification.
🎉Maria Jose Villanueva completed CCSM1 SuccessHackers certification.
🎉Qiujie Lu completed the CCSM1 SuccessHackers certification.
🎉Vincent Conti completed CCSM1 SuccessHackers certification.
🎉Sreeram Warrier completed Customer Success Manager Level II in Pulse Academy by Gainsight.
🎉Vanessa Hanney completed week 1 of her Coursera SQL course.
🎉 Alfredo Becerra Jr completed CCSM1 SuccessHackers certification.